Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Self Warming Dog Bed

Well, I don't know about you but until recently I had never heard of a self warming dog bed. In fact, if you had mentioned this to me a year or so ago, I probably would have assumed it was one of those online meme jokes, or dismissed it as the sort of thing that only crazy celebrities with unlimited budgets to pamper their pooches would buy.

How wrong I would have been...

You see, now that winter has gripped us with her icy fingers, I need to scrape the ice off the car windscreen every morning before I drive into work.

I have to wear a hat to stop my ears from hurting when I go out for a walk. I even decided to buy myself a pocket warmer so that my fingers don't freeze whilst waiting for my sons' rugby matches to finish as I stand on the touchline freezing half to death.

It occurred to me the other day while I was out on a walk with my pet dog that she probably feels the cold just as much as I do. I know that she has a furry coat that insulates her from the worst of the icy winds, but I am pretty well wrapped up when I venture outside these days and I still feel the wind's bite.

That wasn't what made me decide to investigate the wonderful world of the self-heating dog bed, though. After all, while she's out and about, running around in the park, she's actually generating a lot of heat and feels toasty warm to the touch.

No, it was actually one frosty morning when I walked across to the outhouse where our dog sleeps and found her shivering in her bed, whimpering and barking. We have provided her with a nice cozy bed with a padded base and furry sides, but this obviously was not adequate for the severe winter we are currently experiencing.

It was there and then that I decided to look online at what kinds of luxury pet beds are available.

Luxury Dog Bed

Luxury Dog Bed
The world of the luxury dog bed was a real eye-opener for me! You can get everything from blankets, something called a cuddle cup, to bunk beds, thermo-heated beds, you name it and it's available.

A friend of mine had recently bought a brand new sofa for his living room which was big enough for him and his wife to stretch out on and relax. There was just one problem... their dog, who had developed the habit of sitting on their old sofa but who they wanted to keep off their brand new fancy couch. Their solution was to buy such an amazingly comfortable and warm dog bed that he would prefer to sit in the dog bed rather than join them on the sofa.

They eventually chose the above pictured bed from Snoozer Pet Products. This was ideal because they knew that their dog loved to lie under blankets and the "Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed" (snappy name, eh?) comes with a cover that the dog can easily crawl under by himself.

It's also big enough for him to stretch out in and it only took a day or so for him to learn to get inside it.

Their household is now extremely contented because the humans get their nice new sofa all to themselves and the dog is perfectly happy with his new bed. Great result for all concerned.

I seriously considered this cozy design of bed for my own dog but worried it wouldn't be quite warm enough for our outhouse where the dog sleeps.

So I had to broaden my search. I focussed in on a few likely candidates that came in the right sizes and which I thought would be suitable.

It turns out that there are some nice options for keeping your pet's bed extra snuggly warm, even if they sleep outside in the depths of winter. You can either warm the bed, or buy a bed with an integrated warmer.

Here's what I discovered about these two options.

Dog Bed Warmer

Dog Bed Warmer
There are several options for warming up your pet's bed before they get into it. My favorite one from the ones that I researched is this microwaveable one.

It's nice and squishy once it's been warmed up and provides up to twelve snuggly hours of cozy warmth after it's been microwaved, which means you just nuke it before your pet goes to bed and you can relax, safe in the knowledge that your pet will remain warm all night.

It's even comes in a durable neoprene cover, which makes it very easy to clean as well as being tough and able to stand up too some pretty heavy use.

It is also provided with a one year warranty, which gives great peace of mind.

That's great, but what if you're like me and like to really spoil your pet and / or your pet sleeps in a very cold environment at night?

Well that's where my top choice comes in.

Treat Your Pet to a Self Heating Dog Bed

Treat Your Pet to a Self Heating Dog Bed
This really is the best of the best in my opinion. I had seen it advertised and immediately thought of my pooch and how warm and cozy he would be curled up warm and snug in this deluxe pet bed.

The way it worked surprised me a little. Its name suggests that it is heated by electricity or some other technology, but actually it makes use of the body heat of the occupant to radiate the heat back into the animal's body.

It consists of a unique two-layer fabric which serves to radiate the warmth from your pet's body back into her. The first layer is a microfleece which I would like to curl up in, nevermind my dog!

The second layer is a metalized insulating material to radiate your pet's own body heat back into them.

It is even eco-friendly, being made from recycled plastic bottles.

I decided to go for the belt and braces and ordered both the bed warmer and the self heating bed. And let me tell you, this is a combination that keeps my dog as warm as toast all night long. He often can't wait to get to bed and snuggle up.

So, if you live somewhere cold, or even if you just want to take extra special care of your pet so they don't get a bit chilly when the house cools down at night, I would highly recommend that you purchase one of the items described above.

They are cheap at the price and you can be sure to get the best deal on your next self warming dog bed by clicking on one of the links above, so click on one now and get your credit card ready because you won't be disappointed, and neither will your pet.

1 comment: